Thursday 28 February 2013

On a steel horse I ride

Yesterday's journey home was less than ideal.  A two-minute delay on the tube from Edgware Road to Waterloo caused me to miss my connecting train to Hersham, which was also two minutes late.  Taken together, this made me 28 minutes late getting home.  Fortunately, I did not miss saying good night to my daughter, so I do not intend to apply for the death penalty as punishment.

This morning, the train from Hersham to Waterloo arrived a minute late.  No explanation was given for this, but as best I could surmise it was due to stopping for a while between stations to admire the view.  It didn't affect which connecting tube I was able to get, though, thanks to that one being delayed in departing Waterloo, so I'll just charge for the two minutes late that one was.

Tally: 30 minutes / £75.

Meanwhile, Out-Law reports on a motion calling for Boris Johnson to use some of TfL's annual surplus in revenues to help build more affordable homes in the capital.  Each year for the last three years, such surpluses have totalled around £250,000,000.  No doubt TfL would claim that money is being re-invested into its top executives' pockets making improvements to the service. 

I have to admit to being torn on this one: I see the importance of the affordable homes argument, but I sure as hell see the point in TfL working as advertised.  Where do you think the money should go?

No comments: